As the most recent owners of Leys Estate, the McGilvray's are part of a 300 year old history going back to 1712 when it was originally owned by the Baillie family.

It is Col. John Baillie's arms that depict a boars head and this is still found around Leys Castle, embossed on waterheads and the like.

In 1926, Sir Francis Walker - an Olympic sportsman - bought the estate and vigorously set about developing the Castle, its grounds and farms.

He created modern staff accommodation, terraced lawns and, of all things, an Olympic-sized swimming pool. This was used by his family for swimming and boating in the summer and curling and ice-skating in winter.

The Castle was also used as a military hospital in the Second World War and when Sir Francis moved back in 1958 he finished restoring it. 

Sir Francis Walker's lasting legacy though, is perhaps the herd of rare Highland cattle, which the McGilvray's have preserved as part of the legacy of Leys Estate and their future plans for it.
Leys Castle

Leys Castle, Leys Estate, Inverness, IV2 6AF
Designed by 2bcreative, built by Alchemy Plus